The Institute of Water and Environment (InWE) International Program works in partnership with several nonprofits, governmental institutions, and private organizations on water and environmental initiatives across the globe. The International Program views water as an essential and critical resource for a healthy and sustainable future. The Program strives to ensure that clean and potable water is accessible and available to everyone on our planet.
- USAID WA-WASH
- Our USAID project focuses on water, sanitation, and hygiene in West Africa. The main objective for this project is to support regional access to improved water supply/sanitation services and improved hygiene behaviors in West Africa. Visit the USAID WA-WASH website to learn more.
- Italian-FIU Collaboration on Water
- The FIU collaboration with Italian universities aims to 1) develop joint PhD programs integrating water science with social and cultural studies; 2) develop applied research considering active citizenship and big data science as central parts of the next generation decision-making process for smart and sustainable urban systems; 3) identify and develop large-scale demonstrations and "living labs" for testing the effectiveness of non-invasive solutions as compared to large grey infrastructures. Read more about this program here.
- The collaboration developed two workshops for interested participants. The first workshop, “Water and Environmental Global Challenges,” took place in Miami on May 23-26, 2017. The second workshop, "Water and Environmental Global Challenges: International Water Infrastructure and Security," took place in Perugia on Nov 9, 2017.
- Haiti Water Project
- Florida International University InWE, through the International Program, has implemented an adaptive, inclusive, and integrated approach for Northern Haiti on water availability, quality, and integrated water resources management. For more about this project, read our PDF or contact the Inter-American Development Bank.
- Global Water for Sustainability Program (GLOWS)
- GLOWS was an FIU-led initiative funded by USAID from 2004-2014. GLOWS programs were coordinated by FIU and implemented around the world and focused on providing water management services to people and ecosystems, including integrated water management policies, water supply, sanitation, and hygiene improvements, and research and education programs in the water sector. Visit the GLOWS website to learn more.
InWE Chair on Sustainable Water Security
FIU is establishing a Sustainable Water Security Chair at InWE-FIU. The Chair focuses efforts in advancing the knowledge needed to address complex water security issues, both locally and globally, through interdisciplinary research, education, capacity building and public engagement, by linking academics, students, researchers and water professionals with local, regional, and international programs and stakeholders to foster water sustainability.